Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day and contesting...

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day and contesting...
From: Aldewey@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:36:52 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/2010 3:52:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
k0rc@citlink.net writes:

I  consider Field Day more of a radio activity than a contest.

I often hear people saying "Field Day is not a contest - it is a operating
event."  I sort of tire of that statement.  To me, "Field Day is what  you
want it to be."

Over the last number of years, I have done two types of Field Days.   One
is with a group of 4-5 other serious contesters.  We go to a good  location
up north, put up plenty of antennas, plan strategy, and operate all  stations
pretty much around the clock (mostly on CW to maximize points).   For me,
this is FUN and we usually end up doing very well.  The other type  of Field
Day is with the local club.  We set up several stations in a very  public
location and encourage visitors and new hams to come and get on the  air.
Some good operators participate as well some rookies who are mentored  by the
more seasoned operators.  Operating is half SSB and half CW.   Lots of
socializing and some of the stations often sometime sit idle over  night.  This
also is FUN and we end up doing decent score wise but not at  the top of the
pack.

As for operating from home, I also did that for a couple hours this weekend
 from home - operating 1D.  My main purpose was to practice running and
operating SO2R with a new logging program.  Lots of 1D stations called me  but
that didn't bother me at all.  The logging software correctly scored  them
as zero points.  I was mainly interested in rate and cared less about  the
score in this situation.

So Field Day is what you want it to be.  Long may it live!

73,

Al, K0AD