Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:45:14 -0400
 > Secondly, my question:  Am I the only one to notice that those with
 > the biggest, uh, opinions on this Reflector are rarely found in any
 > of my contest logs?

Why bother working just another KH6 or 9Y or 9A or G or W if one is not
going to be competitive due to the lack of antennas and punitive rules
against other technology?

As a Contest Hall of Fame member said ... if he had been denied his
choice of technology to compensate for his lack of antennas and big
power, he would have simply folded his tent and gone home.

Pick technologies and you pick winners ... restrict technologies and
you restrict participation - either in total numbers to in number of
hours.  I've give up counting the number of formerly active contesters
who have moved to places like The Villages in Florida or beach side
retirement condos who have give up active contesting  because they
have no hope of effective antennas or making any kind of competitive
score.  They may get on and work a few new countries or islands or
counties but they're no longer going to put in the effort just to
show up in some "top gun's" log.  Give them a class in which they
can be competitive (100W, single radio, wires) or allow them to use
technology (e.g. local skimmer) without penalty and perhaps they
will have an incentive to make a more "serious" (e.g., struggle
longer to work a few more KH6/9Y/W/G/I/DL/EA stations) effort.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV