Re: [CQ-Contest] Revised 2011 NAQP Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Revised 2011 NAQP Rules
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:08:05 -0600 (CST)
ah, but the paralympic games are politically correct because they pit
handicapped athletes against each other.  we are talking about how a
handicapped athlete should compete head to head with a non-handicapped athlete.
 in the opinion of some on here a handicapped or otherwise unskilled operator
should be forced to compete with 'assisted' operators, who are otherwise normal
operators who receive spotting or other assistance during the contest, just
because they are using an electronic method of decoding cw.  this should be
compared with the evaluation of prostetics used in the regular olympic events.
The ruling there banned "any technical device that incorporates springs, wheels
or any other element that provides a user with an advantage over another
athlete not using such a device".  now, as those same detractors on here have
also noted, the quality of most code readers is not an advantage in a contest
situation over a normally skilled cw contester.  So i would say that unt
 il an operator using only a code reader can beat a normally skilled cw
contester they should NOT be considered assisted and should be allowed to
compete in whichever class they want to... they should NOT be forced to compete
against the currently defined 'assisted' class that includes use of spotting
networks unless they want to... in fact in some contests that don't have a
single-op assisted class such a definition would force them to compete against
multi-operator stations.