Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Contesting-Dr DX

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Contesting-Dr DX
From: "Marijan Miletic, S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:10:15 +0100
AA5JG wrote: 20 years ago we never would have imagined assisted categories
and the controversy concerning the DX cluster and spotting during a contest.

1.  Kudos to Dr DX amazing piece of software.  I learnt of interesting N5RR
B&B Cyber recently.  DL RUFZ is too artificial.

2.  20 years ago exactly to this ARRL weekend I was operating CW robot on PC
AT with TI DSP board assisted.
     I'll use almost the same software this weekend on 4,4 GHz dual AMD-64
CPU which wastes 50% of time to send COM CW with N1MM!

3.  I was wining CQ WW RTTY for EU with 2 tranzistors FSK & PTT and quad OPA
IC RX from PC COM port.

4.  I was wining WAE RTTY with TH6 and SB-220 thanks to my own QTC program.
Sound cards used later with MixW and MMTTY.

5.  USA had to wait for AK1A, K1EA and WF1B to enter digital age.  VE3NEA
finaly made paradigm change.  K5SDR hopefully would.

Even the world social changes occur faster that we adopt new (SDR)
technology!  Apart from active ZA, we got OK/OM and 7 new ex-YU DXCC.

I only played chess, tetris and sudoku on PC as I consider the rest as the
waste of time.  I only operate radio on the contest weekends and DX-ped.
Recently I had a visit from Z3 YL HST/QRQ World Champ for the first time on
the radio.  She was amazed with the lack of CQ replies.  Same with me in CQ
WW SO2R LP.  Morse Runner gives me as much adrenalin as 10 m openings or
DX-ped pile-ups.  The rest is CLICK & ENTER monkey business :-)

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU