Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl correction factor

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl correction factor
From: "Michael D. Adams" <mda@ab1od.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:25:48 -0400
VE3CX wrote:

> EVERY contest is not fair to someone, somewhere.  At the same time, that
> does not mean we cannot get on, have some fun, and do our best if that is
> our motivation.  With skill, practice, good engineering and a bit of good
luck,
> we can even win sometimes.  That is why we have different contests at
> different times of the year.  You win some, you loose some, and hopefully
it
> all evens out in the end.

Of course, if you want to get at the "you win some, you lose some, and
hopefully it all evens out" element...perhaps the answer to perceived
unfairness in certain contests' scoring is to have a meta-contest: a contest
where the results in a wide range of other contests (with different
geographic biases, different multipliers, different band focuses...)
determine the winner/rankings.

Score for the meta-contest: SUM[(individual contest
scores)×(contest-specific multiplier to normalize scores between contests)]

This kind of meta-contest should have the happy side-effect of adding an
element of interest to all contests contributing to the meta-contest result,
without requiring changes to the individual contests' scoring.

--
73 de AB1OD QTH FN31pw
Michael D. Adams | mda@ab1od.org