Re: [CQ-Contest] The Elephant In The Bedroom

To: "Rick Dougherty NQ4I" <nq4i@contesting.com>, "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Elephant In The Bedroom
From: "Jeff Blaine" <jeff@ac0c.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 22:59:27 -0500
In radio, there are a lot of time-respected traditions.  These contests and
their rules - for better or worse - are a tradition as
well.

It seems to this micro-pistol, that the better solution would be to have a sort
of a beta-test of whatever the new best and
brightest ideas are and run that as another entry in the contest calendar.  If
it draws participation, then the idea is
"market-place endorsed" - you could say.

>From these trial tests, a lot could be learned about the effects of these
>changes.  That would fill in a lot of current speculation
with actual facts from an actual event.

The down-side of this would be grumbling about whatever weekend the contest was
slated for.  But I think that's a standing challenge
in any event.

Adding onto the diversity of the contest events seems a better idea in my
thinking than changing the core of "the bigs."  Especially
when the implication of the rule changes is so unclear.  An additional contest
event, followed by some "market testing" - seems a
better way to figure out if this new format (whatever it ends up being) has the
legs to run amoung the bigs or not.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com