Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX "Leveling, Handicapping, Equalizing"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX "Leveling, Handicapping, Equalizing"
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:30:55 -0700
Handicap systems have a lot of problems, especially if part of the goal
of any potential rule change is to encourage more participation.   Any
scoring system that says you need to participate for at least X number
of years before you have a chance of placing high in the rankings sounds
like a major disincentive to me.  The same would hold for any scoring
system that discourages participation in different categories (high vs
low power, single band vs all band, etc) from year to year.

I do find the discussion on distance versus path to be interesting,
though, and I even tried to come up with a way to use WRTC-type score
normalization to reference everyone's scores to the highest score in
their geographical area (state/province/section/country/whatever) but I
wasn't clever enough to figure out how to translate that to a national
or world ranking.  And even if I could, do we really want to normalize
out the random acts of nature that in some years create bad propagation
for one part of the country (or world) while leaving another part of the
country (or world) unscathed?

More and more, it seems to me that true USA national rankings of
operator/station competence are simply rationally unsupportable by
science or logic.  They are convenient and have historical appeal, but
they don't seem to mean much beyond that.  Regional rankings would seem
to warrant more emphasis than they currently get.

73,
Dave   AB7E