[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX "Leveling, Handicapping, Equalizing"

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX "Leveling, Handicapping, Equalizing"
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 13:51:53 -0400
Tom:

You have a point.  Moving to Texas can be hazardous to one's health,
especially if one comes from the Western Part of Virginny.  You probably
will have trouble understanding the local dialect - I know I do when I

But, geography plays a significant part of the scoring equation.  It
would be interesting to move some of the "big guns" from the east coast
to Colouradio, for eggzample.

When I was @ WØANA, University of Denver, back in the 50's, it seemed
much more difficult to make a legitimate score during Field Day and
November Sweepsteaks than after I moved to OhHoHo - probably because of
closer proximity to the larger population areas in the eastern
corridor.    And, there's lots of anecdotal evidence that folks on the
east coast have a much easier time working Europe than folks in the
hinterlands across the teeny tiny hills called by some as the
Appalachian Mountains.  (We from Colouradio don't call anything shorter
than 10,000 feet or so a mountain.)

I suspect if I was granted permission to use one of the contest super
stations on the east coast I'd have a considerably better score in an
international DX contest than I have here in Michigan with my wire
antenna, which radiates just a few dB better than a dummy load buried 6'
underground.

And, now that there are things like Reverse Beacons and the internet,
one can see paths on real time maps.  Northern Latitudes (at least
between OhHoHo where I formerly resided and Michigan where we now are
planted) seem to have, in general, poorer propagation than folks in
southern parts of the Untied States.  The fellows in Minnesota Wireless
Association continually discuss this phenomenon.

So, the only way to truly level the playing field would be to take an
average of the score, and put suitable handicaps on each participant, so
that each person/station would have identical scores.  No publication of
anything other than final, handicapped scores allowed.

Would this encourage more operators to partook of contesting?
Methinketh knot.  Soundeth like some of the educators who want everyone
to get the same grade in school, so those with lesser intellectual
capacity won't feel inferior.

73 de n8xx Hg