Re: [CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ

To: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ
From: Rob Katz <rob.katz@thelegacycenter.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 12:26:51 -0400
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your thoughts and questions.  I don't like people taking things
from me without asking either.  That's why I chimed in on this conversation
- to have a public forum about it.

One challenge of Radiosport is that we cater to so many different kinds of
participants.  Casual, little gun, top-ten, those striving to be op-ten,
etc.  There are tradeoffs with every rule and within every contest.  I
believe that revisiting these things occasionally is healthy for us.  Our
light-speed advances in technology open new ideas and possibilities for
contesting that were not possible a few years ago (and let's not turn this
into a Skimmer thread :-)  Extensive log checking, UBN reports, and
publishing logs are some of those possibilities.

Just because public logs are now easily possible, why should we be "forced"
to do that?  That's a good question.  Any imposition on participants must
provide value to the competition or to the sport as a whole, and a value
that outweighs the imposition.    Drug testing in sports was too intrusive
to consider, until the need for the sport became great.  I think that
testing has changed many sports, but arguably it has saved some as well.

There have been posts here suggesting that Radiosport competitions need
saving from cheating, so the need for public logs and UBN reports outweighs
the imposition.  Perhaps.  I am adding that public logs provide even more
value to our sport, for some, by increasing the enjoyment (and hopefully
participation) from a segment of contesters like me.

Is this value to our sport worth the imposition that it requires?  THAT is
probably the real question.  Radiosport seems to be an exception in that our
actions and points are not made public.  That new imposition looks valuable
enough to me.  It sounds like it is not valuable enough for you.  In the
end, each contest sponsor gets to decide for themselves, but we can
certainly let our individual feelings be known.

73,
Rob KA1ARB