Re: [CQ-Contest] 100 Watt power limit for Sprints-Discuss

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 100 Watt power limit for Sprints-Discuss
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:00:05 -0600
>> The Sprint SSB contest is fairly disruptive to the three bands because
>> SSB takes up more space and this is especially true with more power.
>> Lowering the power would be more challenging for some and wouldn't it
>> lessen the impact to the bands being used?
>>
> I don't understand this argument.  Every contest is "disruptive" in that
> they occupy a large swath of band for a certain period of time.  How is
> Sprint any different from CQWW in this regard?
The Sprint requires the players to move frequency after every contest.
This is less of a problem on CW where there is much more band to
utilize.  Unfortunately even in Sprint people don't listen and just move
and call CQ.  For an outsider this contest makes no sense whatsoever.
Who cares it is only 4 hours?  Really?  We share the bands with everyone.

>> NAQP is a low power event why not Sprint?  Low power does not seem to
>> impact the participants in the weekly NCCC contests.
> Not every contest need be the same.  I say leave Sprint the way it is.
>
>> I have an amp and am not afraid to use it.  Would we get more
>> competition or participation?  Would we get some goodwill especially on
>> SSB by doing this.  Would it make any difference at all?
> Not from what I can see.  In any event, Sprint lasts a total of FOUR hours.
> Leaving 20 hours contest free on that Saturday (Sunday in UTC time).
>

>> Just because we have done something for x number of years does not mean
>> it should stay that way or that we should change things just for the
>> sake of change.
>>
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind.

Well for SSB it is broke, otherwise why the plea to operate last
weekend?   Yeah there is a contest nearly every weekend.  Do we have an
obligation to attempt to minimize the disruption if possible?  We sure
try for emergencies.  We already have a bad name which will never change
especially with the I don't care what other operators think mentality.

Regardless of what the organizers do, I will be taking the same path as
K5TR and others and sitting the phone sprints out from now on.

> 73 Rich NN3W

J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW
W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net