Re: [CQ-Contest] 100 Watt power limit for Sprints-Discuss

To: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 100 Watt power limit for Sprints-Discuss
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 19:09:07 -0600
NAQCC uses wire antenna catagories, but their definition is that a wire antenna
with gain is the same as a yagi or quad, that's fine on 20, but doesn't allow
for the turning of the "beam" antenna... and I don't think there are too many
of us that turn a 3 or 4 hundred foot diameter antenna much. And what about the
low bands... where the gain isn't there, but is still claimed to be a QRO
station with the power limited to qrp levels.... all these make it tuff to
"level" the field. The erp of an antenna is a good point, that is often
overlooked, and so it the takeoff angle. Too bad we don't have a standard
measurement for antenna effectiveness. Then it would level the field easier.
Maybe it would be acceptable to just lower the power. Adding classes, adds to
the support efforts, and only expands the oppurtunity for those that stretch
the limits. If all of the entries were qrp, the obvious "stretchers" would be
just that, and just because they want to flaunt the obvious that they
  don't have a conscience, doesn't make me enjoy the competition any less.

Dale - WC7S in Wy