Re: [CQ-Contest] radio-sport.net web site or copy and paste journalism

To: <w5ov@w5ov.com>, "'cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] radio-sport.net web site or copy and paste journalism
From: "Christian Schneider" <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:57:12 +0200
Hello Bob,
about power cheating and proof I could simply rely on this recent post
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2011-September/095321.html
- but better add:

E73M accused two operators with a YouTube-Vid and pictures and SP5UHW
another suspected case by pictures. One answered here that he drives his
amplifiers "responsibly" not answering whether that meant "at legal limit".
Then the discussion died in talking about the right way to drive an amp.
Of course there was no proof of power cheating which could more or less only
happen with measurements by agencies like FCC, Ofcom, BNA etc. Do you mean
with your question that we therefore should close the case? My point is that
staying silent about this problem would be a case of wrong priorities when
we instead stir up a big turmoil about the radio-sport.net issue.

Don´t you believe that there is power cheating going on? IMHO the/our
problem is that we don´t know how to handle cases and whether or how to talk
with someone suspected of power cheating. I knew one ham (SK for years now)
admitting or better bragging once about using an amp in LP. It happened
months after the results were published. I admit that I "only" said to him,
that it were bad and that I were disappointed about him. I did not inform
the contest sponsor.

What do others do in cases like this? Do you close your eyes, ears and
mouths? Did you never ever come across a case that you regarded as power
cheating? Does the lack of measurements forces us to switch off common sense
- click through YouTube-bragging-vids with amps or think why people would
really spend 1500 euro to improve from an amp operating at three times the
legal limit to an amp with five times the legal limit?

If the majority of the contesting community thinks, feels or wants to feel
that the radio.sport.net-issue is the bigger deal then be it so. We are a
self regulating community either way - with majority and minority opinions.

Best 73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de)

W5OV wrote:

Chris,

What power cheating are you alleging? What contest? By who? What power
were they running? How do you know? Can it be proven? How?

We need some good investigative reporting on this subject.

Another subject that needs reporting is who are the dishonorable members
of committees that share private committee emails as is the case reported
with the CAC? Who are these dishonorable people?

73,

Bob W5OV