Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE:Cheat

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE:Cheating and bad journalism
From: JVarney <jvarn359@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:02:42 -0700 (PDT)
Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

"Clearly there remains a misunderstanding about what the "Assisted" class
means within the context of Amateur Radio Contesting.

"Assistance" has always indicated that the Operator(s) has received
information about band and operating conditions from other individuals
operating on the band, both those participating and not participating in the
contest.

The issue was not the level or manner of technology used to augment the
station operation... it was a SPECIFIC means of information that was being
received.

A panadapter may well be a technological boost for the operator(s) using
one... other technological changes, such as computerized
logging, may make the operator more efficient... but do not make the
operator "assisted."
<<<<

Thank you for a well written and clear explanation. If there's a Contesting FAQ
somewhere it should point to your post. It's that good!

I think I might have been misunderstood by a number of posters here because I
used the word "assisted" so loosely.  My intent, though not clearly expressed,
was to suggest that advances in technology on the radio side are such that
perhaps the definitions of Assisted vs. Single Op might benefit from a fresh
look. A lot has changed since the definitions first came out. That's all.

Anyway, being that I live in and operate from 6-land, it's time for me to shift
my attention to the California QSO Party. Single Ops, Multi-Singles and
Multi-Multis are all invited to participate :-)   This weekend, Oct 1 1600 UTC
to Oct 2 2200 UTC (http://www.cqp.org/index.html). I'll be handing out
Sacramento County (SACR). Hope to see all of you on the air!

73 Jim K6OK