[CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE: Chea

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE: Chea
From: "Bob Shohet KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:55:58 -0400
W5OV wrote: (regarding Unassisted)

"It means that one operator *locates AND identifies* every callsign that he
puts in his log."

Hi Bob,

I know that what you were responding to was not the questions that I am about
to ask,
so let's take the situations below and please tell me whether or not you would
consider them single op. assisted or single op unassisted.

1st situation:

Op A is in the SOABHP category.  He is planning to enter as Unassisted.

During the contest an antenna fails as does one of his amps.  If he takes time
off to fix them, he will lose valuable q's and mults, while he is fixing his
antenna
and amp - which he needs to be competitive in his category.

if he fixes them himself, he is clearly Unassisted (assuming he does nothing
else
to put him in the Assisted category).

But what happens if someone, OP B, comes over to help OP A, while OP A is
operating and
fixes the antenna and amp, while OP A continues to operate, so that OP A never
has to stop operating.  Would OP A still be considered to be Unassisted, even
though he clearly
received assistance from OP B during the contest?

2nd situation:

Op A is tired before the contest and decides to tape record everything and write
it down after the contest, rather than keep a computer log during the contest.

No other person helped him with the tape recording or transcription functions
before or after the contest.

Is this allowed in the SO Unasisted category?

Would the answer be any different if the transcription from tape to computer
log took place
during the contest as opposed to after the contest is over?

Would the answer be different if another person performed the transcription
from tape to
computer log before or after the contest?

I'm really interested in the answers to these questions.  I don't recall seeing
them asked and
answered on the reflector before.  Tnx & 73

Bob

Bob Shohet, KQ2M