Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE: Chea

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE: Chea
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:24:19 -0400
> Nothing was changed or fixed, but the horrid penmanship that was
> readable only by the original writer, was rewritten so anyone could
> understand it.
>
> Would this be a legal thing to do?  I know it was very common practice.
>
> If it was NOT legal to do and you had to send in your logs as is,  then
> why did contests have such a HUGE window to get your logs mailed in?
>
> If you were not to re write them and only send in the originals, why did
> most contests have like a 2 month window to get them mailed in.  Why so
> long?

I can think of two reasons for the long window for paper logs:

ONE - manual dupe sheets.  If you recall, there *was* a penalty for
leaving in dupes.
   With electronic logs, this is no longer an issue (dupes should be
left in the log).  In the days of paper logs, it would generally take
several days to dupe a decent sized log...

TWO - slow postal service from some parts of the world.  Take the CQWW
for example, and some places in the world like in the south pacific
where it would (literally) take months for them to be able to send in
their logs.  The Internet has changed all that, and the time to submit
logs has been getting shorter for many contests as a result.

Tom - VE3CX