Re: [CQ-Contest] BOGUS QSO RATES!

To: Igor Sokolov <ua9cdc@gmail.com>, David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, Craig Maxey <ah8dx@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] BOGUS QSO RATES!
From: Tõnno Vähk <tonno.vahk@gafm.ee>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:38:14 +0200
I wanted to express similar opinion like Igor.

I am violating no law not giving out call in every QSO and in my opinion
giving out call blindly in every QSO is bad operating practice. When there
are say 5 stations calling it clearly wastes time as those people know
your call and it is UNFAIR towards the QRP station who is has been there
for 5 minutes maybe waiting his turn.

I am always amazed to read the selfish attitude of those well equipped S&P
stations who just need to hear the call of the station after every QSO and
need to be able to get through at the first call and then call those guys
who don’t ID for 5 QSOs names. They need to take away the chance of this
QRP guy who has been patiently waiting his turn.

So I say wait your turn. There are guys on the frequency who have been
there clearly for longer time and they have every right to make the QSO
first even if they are worse equipped.

>From my side in addition to saving time and giving chance to QRPers I
really want to get to the last caller as it might often be a multiplier
from an odd direction. I don’t want the new loud callers to kill him.

Also, I think the stories of people not IDing for 10-15 minutes in contest
are vastly exaggerated. 1 minute in the contest seems like 10 for some.
Other than some exception cases like DX expeditions, I have never seen
anyone not IDing for even as long as 5 minutes I believe.

I tend to run sometimes in heavy pile up situation 5-10 Qs without IDing,
that is 2 minutes max, usually 1 minute. If indeed someone does not have
the patience to wait for that time then I think it is just poor S&P
operating practice but I am not to judge anyone, just trying to maximize
my result.

Another question - do those who require IDing at every QSO also condemn a
very fine operating practice of tail ending??

TEST ES5TV
AA1AA...
AA1AA 5NN 15
5NN 05
TU WW1WW 5NN 15
5NN 05
TU ES5TV

If that is OK then naturally short TU after QSO is OK knowing there is a
guy waiting.

73
Tonno
ES5TV