Re: [CQ-Contest] Incomplete SS exchange

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Incomplete SS exchange
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:24:42 -0600
> In the ARRL Contest Update for November 9, Larry K5OT,
> the ARRL SS manager, is quoted as saying "according to
> Sweepstakes rule 4.3 you must include your full call
> sign in the exchange".
>
> To which, the only sensible response is "Why?".

No, the sensible response is, "OK" and then do it.  That's what the contest
rules require and have required for nearly 80 years.

I am also forbidden to touch my golf club to the sand whilst getting out of
a trap (which if you ever saw me attempt a round of golf would be a frequent
occurrence) and that, too, is a bit of an oddity.  Interesting games have
interesting rules.  Yes, things can change and it's OK to occasionally ask
why rules are what they are.  If there is a good reason for the rule (in
this case, to emulate the format of a radiogram message - which are still in
use, by the way) then be enlightened and move on to other topics of
discussion.  For example, not following the rules.

> Change the rule and no one will expect it - in the same way
> that no one expects 59(9) in SS.

Actually, changing a rule that has been in place since the 1930's would
cause a whole lot more grief because that would be even more unexpected than
the call sign being present.

SS is not broken, let's not fix it - at least in this particular way.

73, Ward N0AX