Re: [CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 20:52:43 -0400
Sorry I'm late to the party.

Pete, if I'm not mistaken, the contest rules require that all of the
station's equipment must be within a finite area, right?

If that is correct, then a remote receiver outside of that finite area would
by definition be out of bounds.

Therefore, the answer to the question is self-evident:  No, you can't use a
remote receiver on another continent to check your run frequency, because
you are using equipment outside of the area as defined by the rules.

I think what's truly important here is that your friend is seeking a narrow
definition that may be within the technical restrictions or strictest legal
definition of the rules, but is actually outside the intention of the rules.

And IMHO, it would appear that when you told him, in effect, "sorry, can't
do it" he remained unpersuaded because you told him what was correct, not
what he wanted to hear.

Now personally, I don't try to play lawyer and try to figure out the
strictest possible interpretation of the rules to be in my favor.  That's
what I have Mike K3AIR for!

73, ron w3wn