Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question

To: "'Jorge Diez - CX6VM'" <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 17:50:28 -0400
If the CW decoder is used only on the frequency to which your radio is
tuned, it's legal for the Single Op (unassisted) category in ARRL contests.
If it's part of a multi-channel decoder that provides "spotting
information", like CW Skimmer, it puts you in the Unlimited class.

There were two problems with completely outlawing CW decoders. One, they had
been permitted for a long time, and there's generally a reluctance to take
away something that has been permitted. Second, RTTY and other digital modes
require a single-channel decoder, and it would have required some special
language to outlaw one kind of decoder but allow other kinds of decoders.
This is yet another reason that we chose to focus on the information
provided by the technology, not the technology itself.

73, Dick WC1M