[CQ-Contest] CQ Magazine Award Policy for Remote Base Operations

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ Magazine Award Policy for Remote Base Operations
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:36:17 -0700
CQ Magazine, June, 2012, Page 91:

"Contacts with a remote base station are valid for all CQ contest and award
purposes. Award applications by a remote base operator are permitted only if
both the station (transmitters, receivers, and antennas) and the operator
are located in the same country (entity)."

Are "contest" awards (certificates, plaques, trophies) "by a remote base
operator" covered by the second sentence? Since the first sentence indicates
it covers contest contacts, it is implied that the second sentence does
also. Personally, I couldn't care less about CQ Magazine non-contest awards,
but I do care about contest awards.

If this policy applies to contests, it is a terrible policy. Policies should
be implemented in order to have MORE entities to work in contests, not less
(i.e., my understanding is that the 2 point NA QSO rule was implemented to
encourage Dxpeditions to NA entities.) Also, it would be another rule where
it is almost impossible to detect a violation.

What difference does it make where the operator is located when operating a
remote station? In every case, the operator simply is not at the station
where transmitters, receivers, and antennas are located.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT (not yet remotable, but most probably will be in the
future)