Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ Magazine Award Policy for Remote Base Operations

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ Magazine Award Policy for Remote Base Operations
From: Jon K Hellan <hellan@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:23:36 +0200
On 06/21/2012 10:33 AM, Barry Merrill, W5GN wrote:
> At the 22nd General Conference of the IARU REGION 1,
> the IRTS had submitted a paper on TRANSNATIONAL
> Remote Control operation.  The general thrust of
> this paper was that such operation is not generally
> regulated at present and should be looked into.
> The outcome was the following recommendation:
>
> "That the C4 Chairman is mandated to set up a
> sub-group to examine the question of transnational
> remote controlled operation and to establish under
> what conditions such operation might, IF EVER, be
> regulated and to issue it's findings in due course."
>
> I don't believe that ANY country's PTT currently has
> wording in the amateur radio regulations that would
> permit transnational remote control.
>
> Those words certainly are NOT in the Irish ComReg,
> and informal discussions suggest they would not be
> in the future.

License regulations vary widely between countries. I am not aware of any
requirement in Norwegian license regulations that I have to be
physically present in Norway in order to use my Norwegian license. Other
countries may be different. There are lots of things which aren't
allowed in some countries.

There are probably also countries that object to their residents
operating transmitters in other countries. And many others that don't.

It does appear that a CEPT license is insufficient to authorize a remote
transmitter located in a foreign country. That just means that
an explicit license from the host country is necessary.

If IARU R1 is trying to find out what the legal situation is in which
countries, that's a very good thing. Until then, we just have to find
out as we go along.

Unlicensed operation is invalid anyway, there is no need to spell out in
contest rules what conditions may result in an operation being unlicensed.

Jon LA4RT
Trondheim, Norway