Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network News - hopefully of generalinter

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network News - hopefully of generalinterest
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:55:31 +0100
On 12/08/2012 17:02, Martin , LU5DX wrote:

> I think technology presents new challenges and new opportunities.

Is that intended to imply that all new technology is
inherently good and appropriate?  If so, it's way off
the mark.

> is hard for me to see a software developer so against new technology
> when he developed a logging software himself.

Logging software is just another tool, or accessory,
to improve operator efficiency.  It doesn't undermine
the distinguishing characteristic of amateur radio
contesting, which, IMHO, is to use no communications
modes or frequencies, other than those corresponding
to the bands and modes of your entry class, to find,
facilitate, enable or make QSOs.

And yet, that's exactly what thousands of "contesters"
are doing - with the internet, in an amateur radio
contest!  Unbelievable.  And then we wonder why we're
in a mess.

> Once again, I would like to say that the distinction between single
> ops and single ops "assisted" is not necessary.

And I would like to say it is every bit as necessary
as the distinction between power levels.

73,
Paul EI5DI