Re: [CQ-Contest] [wrtc2014] WRTC Category Weighting Factor

To: "wrtc2014@lists.wrtc2014.org" <wrtc2014@lists.wrtc2014.org>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [wrtc2014] WRTC Category Weighting Factor
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:14:40 -0400
I realize that I have an odd sense of what counts as "interesting" and
"fun", but....it might be kind of fun and interesting if a collection of
stats were made easily available for public review and analysis.

So far, the discussion seems to support the assumptions I made when I
mulled them over one night.  Besides, as a perpetual LP entrant with a very
modest station, I'm just playing for the fun of it (and to fill out
band-country charts).  WRTC qualification is a spectator sport for guys
like me.

It's clearly too late to modify the selection criteria for WRTC2014, but
perhaps would-be WRTC2018 committee members are already thinking ahead to
potential changes and improvements.

I would argue that "the best" qualification scoring system would be the one
that does the best job at predicting WRTC results.   With a body of
publicly available data, different qualification schemes could be developed
and tested against one another.  It becomes a simple predictive modeling
exercise, really.

I suspect that, at least among "reasonable" possible scoring systems, the
list of qualifying entrants would be pretty similar.

For whatever it's worth, I can't help but wonder what dynamic category
weightings would do to qualification scoring (i.e., have the category
weights for a particular qualifying event be based at least in part on the
competitive index for that event).

--
*Michael D. Adams* (N1EN)
Poquonock, Connecticut | mda@n1en.org