Re: [CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:56:24 -0400
This and other similar comments suggest we're debating the wrong issue.

Is split operation the problem?  Or is the problem the continuous callers --
those who continue to call the DX even when he's come back to someone
else -- thus leading some operators to believe split operation is
necessary?>>

It is the forceful long callers, and long might mean sending the call only
three times, and people who call when they cannot hear, who cause the
problem.

This is fueled by the cluster.

But we should keep in mind going split only takes up twice the room as
simplex if we do not spread people out. As someone else wisely pointed out,
at least that puts a bunch of people on one channel width instead of have
them up and down the band CQing.

Operators pride themselves in being clever and calling off frequency outside
the occupied frequency, but that encourages extra bandwidth. Operators
tail-end to be the last caller or pull the trigger when they cannot really
hear, and that forces split.

This is one of those endless topics that is really a matter of whose shoe
the foot is on at any moment of time, or whose foot the shoe is on. :-)