Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP practices was: Re: Big Gun hogging two frequencies

To: "'Pete Smith N4ZR'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP practices was: Re: Big Gun hogging two frequencies (K3KU complaint)
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:18:29 -0500
I've had that happen as well.

Now I could understand it when I still had the WN3 prefix, in certain
contests, but now as a run-of-the-mill (callsign wise) W3?

It's almost funny when it happens early on Saturday (UTC) of a 48 hour
contest.  There's usually plenty of time... what's the rush?

What's more annoying, though, is when the guy requesting I QSY almost gets
offended, and starts arguing with me... right on the air.  Now, if it's HIS
run frequency, isn't he (potentially) wasting time?  He could be working
another station or three in the time used.  And if it's MY run frequency,
he's not only wasting MY time and (potentially) costing me a QSO or 3... but
if I do accede and QSY, is he now going to grab my former run frequency for
himself?  And if he does, will he give it back?

Of course, it does depend on both the contester & the contest involved.  In
some of the state QSO parties, it's not at all unusual to hear the RUN
station offer someone their frequency so that they could take a quick
break... and then hear the new RUN station gladly give it back when the
original guy comes back 5 minutes later.  But that's another story.

73, ron w3wn