Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Cheating in ARRL using the cluster

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Cheating in ARRL using the cluster
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:31:43 -0800 (PST)

>On a secondary note, what causes there to be a huge number of EK3LR spots from
>all over the world and not a single EK5GO?  I sure would hate to be in Armenia
>and have been assigned EK3LR.  Yikes.
>
>Stan, K5GO

Just for fun, try a search for "EK*" on reversebeacon and see what you get...

One way this might happen is if you send your call twice and your call ends in

dit (like K3LR). The final dit of the call could be interpreted as a separate
E.
This is worse
if you use the "shortened inter-word spacing" setting for CW generation. I
would
suggest

inserting an extra half-space between sending your call twice if it ends in a
dit.

But random impulse noise could also generate a dit sometimes- that is harder to
control.

Tor
N4OGW