Re: [CQ-Contest] Why few "odd" mults around

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why few "odd" mults around
From: "Eric Gruff" <eric@e4consult.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:09:56 -0800
I'm not sure I'd agree that the ARRL DX is a "North Atlantic
rim-Caribbean-South American  contest". It seemed more like an East Coast/EU
contest to us Left Coasters, other than on 15m and up after 2000Z. However,
I completely agree that the inability to work NA stations was a big turnoff.
How many countries are within 2500 miles of any EU country? Here in CA, 2500
miles might cover a dozen countries, if you count AK, HI and the Caribbean.
Sure seems like it's a big disadvantage.

I also religiously avoid contests with QTC exchanges. I don't see the point
(or points), and it's confusing as heck to come into an exchange and try to
figure out who's working whom. Then I usually realize that I've already
worked the station on frequency, and I've just wasted several minutes.

I also have to say that contest that require a signal report and S/P/C are
less challenging as you really don't even need to hear the exchange. Most
stations can guess that I'll send "59 (or 599) CA" to them. What gets me
laughing (or crying) is to hear a station spend 10 minutes trying to get a
weak station's call (usually on 160m), finally get it right, and then send a
599 signal report. Sure.

OK, my gripefest is over. Back to spraying RF all over the bands.

73 - Eric NC6K

Message: 1