Re: [CQ-Contest] Why few "odd" mults around

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why few "odd" mults around
From: James <jvarn359@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 21:31:39 -0800
Charly -- Perhaps some of your "boredom" happens because there are
fewer western U.S. stations on the air during ARRL DX than during CQ
WW DX?  In 2011, logs received from the western U.S.:

CQ WW DX = 346
ARRL DX = 296

And logs received from our friends in Japan:

CQ WW DX = 501
ARRL DX = 256

Which precipitates the obvious question, why are 50 western U.S.
stations active during CQWW but dark during ARRL DX? Why do half of
the JA stations choose to skip ARRL DX?

I can't speak for those many stations but like you I am much more
enthusiastic about the upcoming CQ WPX CW in May than I was for ARRL
DX.  Much of my lack of enthusiasm for ARRL DX comes from the scoring
rules -- 3 points per QSO regardless of band or distance.  It is
illogical to me that 10000 km earns the same points as 1000 km. If
ARRL adopted a more modern scoring system (like CQ WW has) that would
give more points to long distance than short distance, and more points
for low bands than high bands, then perhaps more western US and non-EU
stations would participate in ARRL DX.

Hope to work you in CQ WPX CW in May! -- 73 Jim K6OK