Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite - my 2 c

To: 'Peter Chamalian' <w1rm@arrl.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite - my 2 cents
From: Alan Leith <aleith@syd.eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 10:08:55 -0400
I don't know, honestly.  I may have worked a few of the ARRL tests way back
when but I know that I soon soured of them.  I could never understand why
the rest of the world would want to work Ws and VEs when there were
literally thousands of us.  Perhaps DX was working on WAS or WAVE or
whatever award they were chasing.  But I certainly wasn't particularly
interested in working mostly EU and just a few others who might break
through the NA QRM.

Today I work contests and compete only with myself.  No more 40 (or perhaps
42) out of 48 hours in a weekend.  My competition with me is based on my
ability to stay awake and do S&P in contests like All Asia, BERU, CQ (WW
SSB/CW and WPX SSB/CW, WAE, a couple of QSO parties and maybe a few others
if the mood strikes.

But ARRL tests certainly aren't my interest.  However, as has been pointed
out the ARRL tests are for NA and if you want to work them, go right ahead.

73

Al, VE1AL