Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite

To: <k1vv@comcast.net>, <hankkier@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 14:29:38 -0500
A few years ago, some idiot on the CAC tried to explore the possibility of
making ARRL DX a more interesting (i.e., fun) contest. I'm not talking about
radical proposals like distance-based scoring that got everyone in a tizzy, but
relatively modest changes to make the contest more inviting to DX and less
boring for US ops. When some of the CAC's hypothetical discussions about
possible changes were leaked to the press, violent reactions from certain
members of the contest community eliminated any stomach for making changes.

The most common argument was, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Others rightly
pointed out that the current format is very attractive to smaller US stations
because "we're the DX". It was also suggested that we don't need to stimulate
more US participation (true) and the DX participation is pretty darned good
(also true -- I had some of the biggest runs of my contest career in the CW
weekend this year.)

These are all good arguments, but participation isn't the only measure of a
good contest. Fun is important, too, and your experience has been shared by far
too many contesters.

73, Dick WC1M