Re: [CQ-Contest] 579

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 579
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:47:09 -0700

1. Log checking does not include the signal report for any major contest I'm aware of. It isn't even checked for DXCC.

2. There is no such thing as a "real" signal report when nobody knows what kind of antenna you are using, how high it is, what your surrounding terrain is like, or even whether you have your antenna pointed in their direction (such as when you're running a pileup). The best your signal report does is tell the other guy how well you are hearing him, not how strong his signal is into Thailand ... they aren't really the same thing. That being said, out of contests I also try my best to give an accurate assessment of how well I'm copying somebody.

Dave   AB7E