Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:55:12 -0400
Well, I've apparent stirred up quite a fuss.

First, I was aware of the Remotehamradio exercise, and hope it fails miserably. I just couldn't recall a url or the other specifics. As to the legality - the original intent of the "pecuniary interest" language was to prevent competition with the commercial communications services. This is why the United States had to negotiate third-party agreements with foreign countries. To my mind, renting a ham station by the minute is simply requiring people to pay to achieve "amateur" communications. What you exchange on the air, be it a contest exchange, a phone patch, or chit chat about the weather, should not be purchasable.

Several people have written me off the reflector asking what the difference is between this and renting a QTH that includes an operating ham station. There are several, to my mind. First, the visiting op must comply with whatever local licensing requirements there are. Second, he/she must function as the control operator. Who would do that in a rent-a-QSO situation? And finally, is there a single person renting out a ham QTH who recoups from the rental the amount he has spent on the station?

Ultimately, the lawyers may say that none of this matters, but I think it should. And "should" is, of course, a matter of opinion.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.