Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:57:36 +0100

On 17/04/2013 12:11, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

The basic reason why I took such strong exception to the idea of pure
pay-to-play is that it seems to me part of a pernicious trend.  Why go
to the trouble of learning all we do in the course of building a
station?  Why go through the exhilarating experience of trying, and
failing, and trying, and eventually succeeding?  Now you can just pay
for air time.

I have a sympathy with Pete's opinion. However,
similar concerns have been repeated since the
dawn of amateur radio with regard to whatever
technology was new or novel at the time.

Maybe I'm just getting old (actually I know I am), but when someone sets
out to make money this way I *do* hope they fail. Not as hams, or as
people, but as a business.

It seems to me that anyone is entitled to make money
out of contesting.  Should all goods and services be
free just because we regard it as a hobby?

We need to adjust to new, relevant, technology and
commercial services.

73,
Paul EI5DI