Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:37:15 -0600
Seriously?

Who's job is it to worry about the legality of who is operating? You? Me? No. The station owner, the operators and the governing radio bodies. Who exactly is the control op at remote repeaters? I can assure you that very few repeater owners have control ops on 24x7. Once again is this our problem? No.

Is paying to be a member of a repeater club is somehow different? Would you feel better if they allowed you to join their remote radio club instead? That is exactly what they are offering. Your repeater club dues go to pay for the equipment and your ability to use said equipment especially in a CLOSED repeater scenario.

Why is this our problem when for years we turned our backs, winked, smirked at all the stations KNOWN to be running well in excess of the regulated power limits imposed by the governing authorities? How many DQ's happened because of power in the last 40 years? I just saw one in the CQ WW SSB write up. I can't recall ever seeing another. We could go on and on and on about all the FUNNY BUSINESS that happened in contesting and DX over the years.

Is there really any difference in renting my house antennas and being there or renting remote time. As long as both are done legally within the confines of the contest rules and governing communication bodies they are identical.

I checked out the remotehamradio.com site. If you can afford their prices I bet you can afford to build your own station. Their high end option does not even give you enough minutes in the month for a 48 hour contest. Other issues are how many people will be on at the same time, etc. I wish them well though as this is probably the norm in the future as government's across the globe continue to limit what we can and can't do in our homes especially in cites and suburbia.

Do I think that for pay remote sites are going to be springing up all over the place? No.

Would I love to be able to rent out J6M (Fictional) while in W0 land if it were legal? Yes if the price were considerably less than the actual travel and legal, which currently it is not. It is however legal from other US territories.

Is this really a contesting issue?  No.

Do I ever wish for other hams or people to fail miserably? NEVER and I am really shocked to see this from a guy that given so much to ham radio and contesting.