[CQ-Contest] Following the rules...

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Following the rules...
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:41:31 -0500
Wake up! Following the rules and exhibiting good sportsmanship is not a universal trait. You would expect it would be easy and natural to follow the rules of the road (highway). But take a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5FfPcrhD1Q

To me this violent behavior appears to be a cultural characteristic, where 'might makes right'. Imagine some of these people as contest operators and you step into their 'perceived' operating band space. If they can step out of a vehicle and assault another person, what stops them from 'bullying' on the airwaves too, with excessive power and bandwidth?

This problem is especially poignant to me when the girl at 18:45 makes a mistake and creates an accident. She is then beaten to the ground. It's hard to believe this is the 21st century.

I don't have an answer. I do see the reality of the problem.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN