Re: [CQ-Contest] WHY - and other observed behavior

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WHY - and other observed behavior
From: KU7Y <ku7y.cw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:22:54 -0800
I agree with what Doug, KR2Q said about speed.

I'll send at whatever speed the DX station is using up to a point.... My little QRP signal is seldom as loud as most of the others in the "pack". And you never know how much QRN the DX station has either.

So when I hear something like KU?, I slow down a bit. Not because I doubt the skill of the DX operator but because it makes it easier to hear a weaker signal. (You don't want to go too slow but 21 wpm will get through better than 31 wpm usually.

Several times in the WW last weekend I'd hear 3 or 4 of those very loud LIDs all calling and calling.... if they were all a tad below the DX, I'd use the XIT and move up 100 to 400 cycles. While even that doesn't always work, it's sure fun when it does!!

Many thanks to all those DX stations who took the time to dig my out and make sure they got it right. While I don't mind being told to try later, I also don't like it when the DX is trying to get my call correct and then responds to one of the LIDs because they will not shut up. Hehehehehe

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
CWOps #1211
Northern California Contest Club