Re: [CQ-Contest] 2 point rule

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2 point rule
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 16:36:18 +0000
Before the Classic overlay was announced, there had been some talk about having
a side-contest running in conjunction with CQWW, to address/gauge perceived
interest in competition among those of us without iron butts.

I wouldn't mind seeing the same kind of side contest arranged, either as an
actual event, or retroactively using public logs, to explore alternative
scoring.

A simple example:  I had been toying around with suggesting that each QSO be
worth (1 if a different zone) + (1 if a different DXCC) + (1 if a different
continent), as a way to reduce the apparent inconsistencies in scoring rules
between NA and EU.  Perhaps running the logs through such a model would be
informative.

Or, a more complex idea:  what if some kind of scoring matrix were developed,
to factor in considerations like distance, challenge of operating on the low
bands, and difficulty of particular paths (Zone 5 <> Zone 26, for example).
That would be an interesting side/overlay competition -- it wouldn't require a
revision to existing CQWW rules and exchange, although if it caught on it might
impact strategy.

Personally, I'd be interested enough that, in late spring / early summer after
a couple of other projects get done, I wouldn't mind grabbing a bunch of logs
and the appropriate software, to see what can be seen.   I'm not antsy for a
change in an already fun contest, but it'd be a fascinating puzzle to play with.

--
Michael N1EN