Re: [CQ-Contest] What rig to choose for a one-time fieldday MM setup?

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What rig to choose for a one-time fieldday MM setup?
From: Gerry Treas K8GT <gatreas@mi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 15:37:46 -0500
TS850 is an excellent rig, especially loaded with the ganged IF filters, AND the Inrad roofing filter mod. It is a great deal used, but only those manufactured in 1995 (50,000,000 series S/N) and 1996 (60,000,000 series S/N), the last year produced. These last two years produced have the new and improved DDS chips, which are much better than the earlier ones that failed, along with better electrolytics on the carrier board that leaked on the earlier models. Rob Sherwood mentioned the specs on the TS850 with the Inrad roofing filter mod as being an improvement over one without it, in his presentation at Dayton, but I don't see those figures on the list.

The TS590 is a very good rig, but as the list shows, above 20m the narrow spaced dynamic range is somewhat poorer due to upconversion being used, versus 20m and below using downconversion. The TS590 is easy to use. It has two excellent NB's and two NR systems, and it's DSP filtering is great, down to 50Hz. It is reasonably small and light. I've used it at Field Day and the only thing that it can't handle is one of the other station rig's TX wideband noise that no rig can handle.

The TS990 is good but large, heavy and expensive as you said.

I have both the TS590 and the TS850 loaded with filters and the roofing filter mod. I like them both, they are slightly different, but operate similarly because they both are Kenwoods. I highly recommend either.

I'm waiting for Kenwood to bring out, say, a TS890 that would be between the TS590 and the TS990.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

73, Gerry, K8GT