Re: [CQ-Contest] What rig to choose for a one-time fieldday MM setup?

To: "'Maarten van Rossum'" <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>, "'PA5MW, Mark'" <pa5mw@home.nl>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What rig to choose for a one-time fieldday MM setup?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 11:07:56 -0500
Mark,

I would respectfully disagree with Maarten.

The TS-480SAT was an adequate rig for everyday communications, but under
contest conditions, frankly, it didn't hold up.

I found that it had trouble with pulling weak signals out, and if a strong
signal came up with 3 kHz of where I was, the front end was wiped out.  (And
yes, that was with the CW filter)

And I'm just a humble single op.  I could just imagine what several of them
would do in a multi-op station.

To be perfectly honest, my Corsair II handled contest situations much better
than the '480 did.  And that's one of the main reasons why, when the
opportunity came, I traded my '480 away.

(For example, WQ3T lives around the corner, literally, from me.  When we would
both be on 40 meters, I knew it every time with the '480, and I couldn't get
within 5 - 10 kHz of his QRG.  With the older Corsair, and now an Omni VI+, I
don't even know he's on the air.  Now, just extrapolate that for heavy band
conditions...)

I realize cost is a factor here, but I would strongly hesitate to recommend the
'480 under these circumstances.  I suspect you'd be replacing the rigs within a
year or less... so why spend the money on them in the first place?

I would also strongly suggest you look into the Ten Tec Eagle.  I think that
for the money, it is one of the better rigs on the market, but is currently
flying "under the radar."  I will tell you this much... I've used a K3, and
I've used an Eagle, and all else being equal, I'll take the Eagle any day over
the K3.  (And I know of at least one local ham who sold off his K3 and replaced
it with an Eagle and is quite happy he's done so)

GL

73, ron w3wn