[CQ-Contest] Increasing contest participation

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Increasing contest participation
From: "James Cain" <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 14:17:35 -0000
Want to increase contest interest and participation? Wrap ARRL's Logbook of the
World into all major contests. Let the contest sponsor automatically load all
submitted contest entries into LotW.

CQ, and all the other major contest sponsors other than ARRL, would have to
cooperate. Why wouldn't they? Contest entrants could be allowed to opt out, but
why would they? ARRL's requirements for LotW registration are fine and I agree
with them, but surely a submitted contest log would be adequate proof that the
log and QSOs are legitimate. After all, it's only a hobby.

Then, maybe allow LotW confirmed QSOs for more awards: WAZ, USA-CA, etc.

Paper QSLs are so 20th Century and too much expense and bother. We did away
with paper logs more than 20 years ago. Isn't it time we did the same with
paper QSLs?

Jim Cain, K1TN
(50,000 contest QSOs uploaded to LotW since 2005)