Re: [CQ-Contest] Increasing contest participation

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Increasing contest participation
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@twc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 13:43:09 -0500
K1TN wrote: "Want to increase contest interest and participation?"

Please understand that this is not an attempt at "stirring the pot", just my personal observation! I have great admiration for the excellent operators, especially those on CW. IMHO, increased interest and participation comes from making any contest, regardless of mode, attractive to the casual (me) operator? If the aforementioned casual operator wants/needs to use some sort of assistance, especially in copying high speed CW, so be it? I have no idea of the time spent listening to a high speed, 50+ WPW, station, before I was sure of their call. If the contest requires more than a simple exchange, that isn't automatically completed by the logging program, I move on. Again, IMHO, much better for me to move on, that interrupt/interfere with a high speed operator, especially if they have lots of callers? I also firmly believe that those high speed operators are being inconsiderate when they call a casual (me) operator, without changing their speed to equal the calling station?Changing things, that are not automatically filled in, such as the CK in SS, again IMHO, eliminates many of the casual participants? I know, I know..."it's copy what was sent, not what you think should have been sent"!! I have little, if any. concern about winning anything more than a local certificate, but I still enjoy operating most of them. When the enjoyment is no longer there, neither will I.
To one and all...Happy Holiday Season

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW