Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: [PPRAANet] CQ Magazine

To: Bill Parry <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: [PPRAANet] CQ Magazine
From: "Jack Haverty." <k3fiv@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:47:09 -0800
Hi Bill et al,

I also don't like the typical electronic version of most magazines.
Usually all the publisher does is create an electronic copy of the physical
version, and then force you to try to read it on a screen.   Since the
content wasn't designed with a screen in mind, it's not a very pleasant
experience.   I get QST and tried their electronic version but found it
unusable.    Mostly I've found that I have to print out such magazines to
get them on paper, and my printer is nowhere near as good as theirs.

However, that's why I pointed specifically to that model railroading
magazine.  It is one of the few I've encountered that is designed for
electronic consumption.   So, for example, in some kind of "construction"
article, in addition to the text, you'll be able to view short videos and
*see* how to do the various steps.   That's a huge benefit.   Also,
articles can be as long as needed - no shortages of pages in the electronic
world.   And, my favorite peeve is gone - never a "continued on page xx"!

There's lots of such differences from the paper world.   It's hard to
imagine how they would produce a paper version of the magazine - it would
be just as painful to read on paper as the paper ones are to read on a
screen.

Even if you're not interested in model railroading, you might take a look
at http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com.   Download an issue and see how such
a magazine works.   It's also interesting that the magazine is totally free
- apparently the advertising is enough to support it.

I'd love to see a similar electronic amateur radio magazine.   But I'll
continue getting paper versions from publishers who haven't figured out the
difference yet.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV