Re: [CQ-Contest] 10/15 interaction

To: "'Randall K Martin'" <rkmassoc@comcast.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 10/15 interaction
From: "Bill Hider" <n3rr@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 12:50:09 -0500
Randy,

Intuition usually is insufficient compared to engineering.

Earlier this year, I purchased a complete design and fabrication of a stub
filter package from Top-Ten devices for my SO2R station.
George, W2VJN designed and fabricated my system then shipped it to me for my
installation.
I will soon be adding a new page to my Website where I'll describe the
entire process.

But it all started with my reading a local ham's copy, then purchasing and
studying my own copy of George's book:

"Managing Interstation Interference, Revised Second Edition"
by George Cutsogeorge, W2VJN
Which is available from INRAD.Net and Array Solutions and probably other
places.
It cost me all of $20.00.

More to your point:
I, too,  have 10M and 15M monobanders mounted on the same mast with 13 feet
vertical separation.
You can see this and my other 8 monoband antennas for the 6 HF contest bands
on two towers on my website: www.erols.com/n3rr
During contests, I have virtually no interference between the transmitting
radio and the receiving radio on another band.

By examining your interstation interference environment, per George's book,
you can determine quite accurately where the interference is coming from and
how much interference (in dBm)
is present in your system.  Then, you may design and implement the
appropriate filters.

But, buying a hi-pass filter without first performing the appropriate
engineering is not the right approach, in my opinion.

One more level of info, Randy:  By implementing a 15m reject filter in the
10m transmit path and a 10m reject filter in the 15 m receive path
you  get "double" effectiveness.  I put "double" in quotes, to emphasize
that it's two paths of filtering, not necessarily 2x the dBm.
It's to give you another way to think about solving your interference
problem.  You may not need both filters, BUT if you
perform the engineering analysis first, you will know what you actually
need.

George performed the analysis of my SO2R interference environment via email
with me in MD and he in OR.
He gave me the testing parameters and setup.  I performed the tests on my
station and sent him the data.
All as if he were the laboratory engineering  manager and I was his
technician in his lab making the measurements as he directed!
He then performed the analysis & determined the stub filter design I would
need and quoted it to me.

ALL FYI for you and the reflector.

Disclaimer:  I have no business relationship, except as a customer, with any
companies or people mentioned in the email.

I am available to answer any questions you or anyone may have.

73,

Bill, N3RR