Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying

To: "'Stan Stockton'" <wa5rtg@gmail.com>, <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 04:49:47 -0000
I don't think your interpretation is correct.

I read it that if you operated 160m single band, your points are calculated
as your percentage of the all band winning score.  It is a way to allow
single band entries to gain qualifying points, but with some risk.  WPX is
the one contest where the single band entries can have as many points as the
all band.

WAE may offer the best chance for gaining qualifying points.  It is worth
1000 and there usually isn't that much competition when you get farther away
from Europe.

The surprise for me is that Assisted scores are compared against Unassisted.
This really says that if you want maximum points, you have to plan on
working Assisted.

The Low Power guys have asked for parity for years.  Will be interesting to
see how that works.

In the end, the WRTC2018 organizers have removed complexity from the
process.  Some of this is due to lessons learned from WRTC2014.  As with any
system, there will be advantages for some and disadvantages for others.
Making these decisions is part of the work involved in organizing a WRTC
event.

It should be an intense 2 years for those trying to qualify!

Randy K5ZD