Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 15:04:56 +0000
On 02/12/2014 14:05, Martin , LU5DX wrote:

<snip>

I always believed and I still do, that SOAB/SOAB(A) should be
merged to eliminate one of the many ways cheaters have to cheat in our
hobby and ruin it.

LU5DX is correct, and we could eliminate the other ways
cheaters can cheat by merging the HP, LP and QRP categories,
and also the SO and MO categories - regardless of the number
of transmitters.

That way, we will all be one happy family of contesters, and
cheating will have been eliminated once and for all.

LU5DX also suggests that "SOAB(A)...goes way beyond of just
pointing and clicking to be competitive". Indeed, and shooting
fish in a barrel can be quite tricky too.

The DARC has been single-minded in its ambition to eliminate
ham-radio contesting - as opposed to hybrid-communications
contesting, and is being entirely consistent with its qualifying
criteria for WRTC.  I think it's incongruous that the only
viable way to qualify for a competition in which the competitors
cannot use the internet is to use the internet.

73,
Paul EI5DI