Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying

To: "'Radio K0HB'" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 15:14:10 -0000
We need to stop disparaging how people choose to operate.  Yes, there are
different categories, but one does not mean you are a better radio operator
than another.

I worked 5000+ QSOs in the CQWW this past weekend.  I operated in the Assisted
category.  I can assure you that there was far more to accomplishing this than
“point and click” skills.  Did using the Cluster help make my score higher than
if I did not use it?  Yes.  Have you noticed that most new contesters look at
their final score as the metric for success.  A higher score is considered
“better.”

Anyone  who has been licensed in the past 15 years does not know ham radio
DXing and contesting without the availability of the DX Cluster via the
Internet.  It is as natural to them as learning CW was for those who started
back in the days of the Novice license.  We all tend to favor what we first
learned or grew up with.  But, that doesn’t mean those who come later have to
conform to what was done before.

With the exception of ARRL, CQ and the Scandinavian Activity Contest, the rest
of the world’s contest organizers have moved on and allow single operators to
use the Cluster if they want.  It doesn’t make contesting any less fun for the
participants.

Randy, K5ZD