Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs.: SO2R

To: "Cqtestk4xs@aol.com" <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs.: SO2R
From: <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 13:15:03 -0500
To me, a voluntary overlay for so1r makes the most sense. You can choose to
enter so1r if you wish, or remain in the big pond if you wish.

Creating an SO2R class that one must enter to do 2R ignores the fact many guys
using two radios may not even have stacked monobanders for their main radio,
let alone stacks for the second radio. A guy with a 5BTV and a mini-beam might
want to use two radios, but he's never going to be in the same stratosphere as,
say, an op at K3LR, W3LPL or KC1XX. Telling him that because he runs two radios
he can only compete with big guns doesn't seem fair. He could easily be creamed
by a guy with one tribander and wires and one radio.

The relationship between number of radios and number of points is not linear.
It's not like the guys with two radios are making 2x the QSOs.

Lastly, since it's largely a skill thing, do we want to be telling people that
if you get too good at what you do, we're going to punt you to a new category?

There are guys who can humble 99% of us with just their skill and just one
radio. Do we move them to a new class too?

73, Kelly
ve4xt

Sent from my iPhone