Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs.: SO2R

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs.: SO2R
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 05:09:48 +0000
There are umpteen different distinctions that can be made within single
operator to reflect the potential capabilities of those variations and personal
preferences.

If contest organizers tried to recognize all the possible combinations of those
umpteen distinctions, they'd be left adjudicating contests with too many
categories, where we are all winners in our own teeny tiny little buckets.

(And, with SO1R vs SO2R, you have the added fairness challenge of figuring out
how SO2V or SOSDR fit into the mix).

I respect what CQWW did in defining the classic overlay -- trying to define a
contest within a contest that touched on many of the distinctions that were
desired with a simple bucket which might not have perfectly pleased everyone.
(Including myself.  I like my skimmer spots, especially if I can get two radios
going, but I don't have an iron butt.)

At the end of the day...I don't really care.  I like using scoring to set goals
/ compete against myself.  Just make it easy to tell what category I should use
on my log,  and don't impose pesky rules that get in the way of maximizing my
fun.

--
Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@n1en.org