Re: [CQ-Contest] RXDC

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RXDC
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 21:20:50 +0000
On 05/12/2014 18:01, VE5ZX wrote:

Except that no traditional skill represents an alternative
communications mode to ham-band RF.

Hmmm - not sure the way we use the Internet in contests that it is an alternative to ham-band RF.

I can help. By relying on internet-hosted spots,
whether cluster or RBN, we find stations that
unconnected contesters are less likely to find by
tuning up and down the bands - RF goes in both
directions.

  I have never had a QSO on the Internet.

Why deny something that has not been said or suggested?

I still make them with my radio using RF ;)

Yes, and when we shoot fish in a barrel we're still
"catching" fish.

And clusters were around a long time before the Internet - remember packet radio?

Yes, I remember it well, and if we were still using
packet radio there might be a point to this argument.
However it happened, and however well-intentioned
everyone was along the way, "connected" contesters
are now dependent on the internet for the extra mults
that unconnected contesters miss.

Nothing wrong with that, it's a personal operating
choice.  But they're not entitled to force the rest
of us, the unconnected contesters, to do the same
as the only realistic option for WRTC qualification.

The Internet is merely an extension of operator tools like keyers, transceivers, SDR radios, logging programs.

VE5ZX is repeating an assertion from his previous
post.  We know that repeating assertions, without
evidence, is merely expressing a point of view.

But doesn't matter because from your posts over the years there is nothing that is likely to extend your view into the present from the past ;)

When all else fails, get personal?  :-)

73,
Paul EI5DI