Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying

To: Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying
From: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 22:11:07 +0000 (UTC)
>>10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars worth of antennas, towers & primo
>>real estate..I am sure there is probably one in most (but of course not all)
>>zones.VE9AA.
Add to that the $1000's needed to add a new rig, auto tune amp, Top of the
range SDR which will simultaneously display screens for all of the six bands to
display Skimmer/ RBN etc spots with additional PC/monitor to view all that
information. .

>>WRTC is not truly a fair competition.  Sure, maybe the day of it is, yes,
>>but to get there you need skill and very deep pockets.
When you have a big voice and all of the software and hardware mentioned above
plus a mouse to click upon the information gathered from the internet where is
the need for skill?

 >>I see all the complaints about EU zones, NA contests, weighting of contests
>>assisted vs. unassisted etc. etc. but every oneof those can be overcome to
>>some >>degree.  Work harder, learn to use the
>>cluster , play in contests with low rate and scores.etc..

What about those of us (the vast majority of contesters) who do not wish to
work harder  as they have  no desire (or lack the means or ability to compete
at the top level) to qualify for WRTC. This group includes single ops who do
not wish to use the internet and are unwilling to have their hands forced by
being ambushed into accepting this Fait Accompli proposed by the DARC
organisers.
Make no mistake this move will change the face of contesting forever as many
guys (the present top single unassisted ops) who do wish to compete for places
are forced into this change of format for qualifying. In consequence there will
be a massive shift over into the 'Assisted' class in the major CQWW & CQWPX
contests in the next two years which will never be reversed. Those of us
remaining  who do not wish to use internet help  will be competing in a very
de-valued section.
Randy (K5ZD) operating in the recent cqww cw event has confirmed what many of
us already knew, which is that whatever class or category they choose those
present  top dogs will still win, gaining the tools of assistance will increase
their scores but will not add anything to their skills.
In Randy's case we did see his comments after the cqww ssb event that his
station was getting old and tired.Whether he re-vamped his station, or didn't,
or operated from another place  I do not know, although if the latter case he
will need to be mindful of the other new rule restricting traveling ops,
(another controversial introduction as there are many talented ops who do not
have their own facilities for a variety of reasons and need to guest at
competitive stations).

Why then do DARC consider it necessary to merge unassisted and assisted
classes? The reasons they have given are very lame ones, they do not seem to
have any regard for unintended consequences of diminishing the traditional
single op class for other contests where searching skills are very much part of
the enjoyment and fun of contesting and be replaced by what can only be
regarded as a mechanical exercise.which will now have to be adopted if one
wants to win, like it or not. If the object of the qualifying is to produce
operators to work a traditional skills contest why impose this rule?. As Paul
O'Kane stated at the commencements of these various WRTC threads 'It is
incongruous that to qualify for a competition which does not embrace the
internet one is obliged to use the internet.'  I do so agree.
73  Brian 5B4AIZ / C4Z.

 I see all the complaints about EU zones, NA contests, weighting of contests
, assisted vs. unassisted etc. etc. but every one

of those can be overcome to some degree.  Work harder, learn to use the
cluster , play in contests with low rate and scores.etc.

There is one sticky wicket though:

How can a guy with a tribander, vertical  and inverted vees ever even HOPE
to compete against stations with huge

multiple stacks or high gain antennas on all bands?  We're talking world
class #1 super stations here, not an added tribander or a single monoband
yagi.

10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars worth of antennas, towers & primo
real estate..I am sure there is probably one in most (but of course not all)
zones.

He can't.

WRTC is not truly a fair competition.  Sure, maybe the day of it is, yes,
but to get there you need skill and very deep pockets.

Regards,

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB